I'm no expert but I love to argue, so this is what I would say:

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Baishampayan Ghose
<b.gh...@ocricket.com>wrote:

> Their concerns are thus:
>
> 1. How do you get Clojure programmers? Lisp is not for the faint hearted.

There has been a lot of re-newed interest in lisp over the past couple
years.

> 2. What about the performance of Clojure? Is it fast?

>From what I've heard and seen it is as fast as java itself in some cases
because it sits natively on-top of the jvm

3. People who want to use this are more academically inclined and are
> not practical. This will make the whole project fail.

Rich Hicky, is a self described "practitioner" not an academic, and I think
it is because of this
that clojure is at its heart a very pragmatic language (for example: clojure
is functional but doesn't enforce strict purity) and not
just another intelectual exercise.

I'm not trying to knock Simon Peyton Jones (the academic behind Haskel, the
man is undoubtedly a genious), I'm simply saying
clojure comes from a different angle.

The reasons to chose clojure:
1. functional languages are the future, in a few years absolutely everything
(even cellphones) will be multicore
2. sits on the jvm, a robust and open platform with access to thousands of
librarys
3. a lisp