On Jun 25, 12:59 am, Baishampayan Ghose <b.gh...@ocricket.com> wrote:

> Their concerns are thus:
>
> 1. How do you get Clojure programmers? Lisp is not for the faint hearted.

You advertise for programmers and include Clojure, Lisp, Java, and
functional programming on the roster of desirable skills. Lisp hackers
want to hack Lisp. Over the past twenty years I;ve been on four teams
that wrote the bulk of their code in Lisp, and finding people to do it
has never been an issue. On the largest project we had somewhere in
the neighborhood of 60 people; the non-Lispers that were hired had no
trouble taking instruction from the Lispers.

> 2. What about the performance of Clojure? Is it fast?

It's usually about as fast as plain Java. Occasionally someone will
write something that is slower. If it's slow enough to notice, it's
generally easy to recode it to recover the speed.

> 3. People who want to use this are more academically inclined and are
> not practical. This will make the whole project fail.

That one is just a prejudice.No one has that kind of knowledge, so
whoever said it is just making it up, or revealing a personal bias.
You'll have to figure out the best way to deal with it based on
knowledge of the individual's personality.

If it's a question of talking to investors, it's been my experience
that, barring the quirks of particular individuals with prejudices,
investors ask about platforms and technologies to (1) disqualify
people who clearly have no clue and (2) find out how nimble you are
about responding to inconvenient questions (because you're going to
have to talk to a lot of people who will ask a lot of inconvenient
questions, and the investors want to make sure before they give you
money that you can talk confidently and convincingly under those
circumstances).

So in talking to investors about your platform I'd suggest focusing on
advantages rather than trying too hard to defend against perceived
disadvantages, and don't give out details that the questioners don't
need to know. For example, why would they need to know what the source
language is? The proposed product runs on the JVM, a proven platform.
That should be enough, unless you want to build a sales pitch around
specific competitive advantages Clojure gives you.