Hi,

I'm visiting from the Common Lisp game-dev crowd and wanted to try out
Clojure for writing games.

I saw some JOGL examples posted in this group, in addition to the
cloggle library which wraps some JOGL functionality. Cloggle is pretty
thin right now and uses glFunctionNames as they are, so I've added
some patches to convert glFunctionNames to Lispier function-names, and
tried to Lispify the interface in general [1].

I think I'd be fairly comfortable writing a graphics engine with my
patched version of cloggle. What I'm not so sure about is writing the
game simulation model.

All game simulation models I've seen used graphs of mutable objects;
I'm not entirely sure how to move to a more functional model. One the
one hand, reallocating the game world on every frame seems excessive
(even if Java's GC is fast), and on the other hand putting refs
everywhere a value could potentially change seems equally excessive
(and probably detrimental to performance).

I just saw zippers on the other libraries page, but haven't had the
time to read it and don't know if it meets my needs or not.

If anyone has suggestions on simulating interactions between trees of
objects (especially on the Clojure way to do it), I'd appreciate it.
Comments on my cloggle patches also welcome.

[1] http://github.com/slaguth/cloggle/tree/master