On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 4 Dez., 05:17, John Harrop <jharrop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The rules on contrib are that the work must be original to the author.
> Even
> > > with Andrew's disclaimer that it be considered public domain, he would
> still
> > > need a contributor agreement in place to get this incorporated into
> contrib.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > (Having to use paper mail is especially a high hurdle for what is
> otherwise
> > a purely online activity.)
>
> Because that are the rules.

Circular argument. Those are the rules because those are the rules? That
doesn't satisfy me any more than it does my three-year-old.

> Eg. in Germany

I'm not in Germany.

> Rich wants to be sure, that there will not be any legal
> issues later on. Understandable, I think. (And a good idea, BTW)

The problem is that it is an unreasonably high barrier to entry. There MUST
be an electronic-only way (and it must not require a cell phone, CC#, &c.)
if the full potential of this community is to be unleashed upon
clojure-contrib. In particular, there should be a way to participate
pseudonymously for those people that (unlike myself) value their privacy
sufficiently not to want to even post here under their real names.