On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 11:49 -0800, Richard Newman wrote:
> > The problem is that it is an unreasonably high barrier to entry.
> > There MUST be an electronic-only way (and it must not require a cell
> > phone, CC#, &c.) if the full potential of this community is to be
> > unleashed upon clojure-contrib. In particular, there should be a way
> > to participate pseudonymously for those people that (unlike myself)
> > value their privacy sufficiently not to want to even post here under
> > their real names.
>
> Raising the barrier to entry stops people pseudonymously contributing
> code they don't own. If you're not even willing to stand behind it
> with your own name, and someone sues Rich, he has little recourse.
> "Yeah, some dude named Gecko45 contributed this library. I don't know
> his real name or where he lives, sorry.".
>
> I'm sure Rich would be happy to avoid posting a contributor's name if
> they didn't want it public.
>
> Yes, this makes it more difficult for someone to just email a fix for
> a small bug. However, I quite understand Rich's reasons for doing it.
> I don't think it creates an unreasonably high barrier to entry, and I
> don't see why there MUST be an electronic-only way. If people don't
> want to submit a CA, they're welcome to put their libraries on GitHub
> like everyone else.

What isn't clear to me is exactly what a piece of paper provides that an
electronic form doesn't (aside from inconvenience).   I don't see any
requirement for notarization, registered mail, etc, so the paper is
simply worth a bit less than it was before it was printed on.  Any
contributor in fear of culpability could resort to simple denial.  I am
unable to see why someone shouldn't be able to receive a signed PDF via
email and achieve a similar level of confidence that the signor was
legitimate.

Regards,
Cliff