Rob Wolfe <r...@smsnet.pl> writes:

> So how do you exactly start SLIME for Clojure?

I've tried both `C-u - M-x slime RET clojure' and `run-clojure', which
both amount to the same thing eventually

> These settings:

[...]

> should cause automatic start of *inferior-lisp* and *slime-repl clojure*
> after typing "M-x run-clojure"

They do -- sometimes -- /eventually/. There is a very long gap between
the *inferior-lisp* process starting and the SLIME-Swank connection
completing, and the REPL appears only after that connection succeeds.

> What do you see in *messages* buffer?

The same as yours:

,----[ *Messages* buffer ]
| Polling "c:/DOCUME~1/seh/LOCALS~1/Temp/slime.5844"..
| (Abort with `M-x slime-abort-connection'.) [22 times]
| Connecting to Swank on port 3681.. [2 times]
| Connected. Let the hacking commence!
`----

But note that the connection attempt message repeated 22 times. And in
between the "connecting" and "connected" messages, there was a lag of
maybe a minute, during which I went in and interacted with the Clojure
REPL in the *inferior-lisp* buffer, trying to kick the connection to
completion.

If I just start SLIME and /don't/ interact with the *inferior-lisp*
buffer, the connection "never" completes, or at least not within the
five minutes I let it sit undisturbed.

This is the only content in the *slime-events* buffer while I'm waiting
for the connection to complete:

,----[ *slime-events* buffer ]
`----

> What version of Clojure do you use?

The Clojure 1.1.0 Jar that I downloaded from code.google.com.

> I use clojure.jar built from sources taken from GIT repository (I
> tried Clojure 1.0 and it worked too).

That's a good sign that something more recent than Clojure 1.0 should
work.

> I agree with Stefan Kamphausen that "connection-serve" in swank.clj
> should not fail silently. Now we don't know what is the problem.

I changed `connection-serve' per your suggestion.
The Swank back-end didn't dump any exception traces to the
*inferior-lisp* buffer.

The behavior looks like it suffers a race, or maybe the socket
connection request isn't noticed as intended.

--
Steven E. Harris