On 5 March 2010 17:22, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mar 5, 1:03 am, Felix Breuer <fe...@fbreuer.de> wrote:
>
> > I agree that Windows is a second class citizen as far as clojure
> > tools go.
>
> Oh please stop that. I have a stable setup of Gradle + Clojuresque +
> VimClojure on Windows. Granted setting up VimClojure on Windows is
> tricky due to Vim and Windows specifics, but it's doable. However the
> Gradle + Clojuresque part is as easy and trivial as it can get. And
> this setup survived already a few updates of the different components
> without blowing up a single time. I type "gradle runServer" in the
> morning and get a running Jetty/Nailgun combination for dynamic
> development with VimClojure - without thinking a single time about the
> classpath. Which actually consists of several checked out other
> projects (enlive, ring, fleetdb, ...). They were modified non-
> intrusively to use clojuresque instead of maven/ant/lein/whatever as
> build system. It checks the interdependencies and rebuilds the
> required jars if necessary. A change in a dependency is immediately
> picked up. If necessary, I can fix a known-to-work version in my local
> repository with a few commands.
>
> All without virtualbox, VMWare or whatever. So if one tool doesn't
> fill your need, then choose another.
>
> I apologise for sounding a little harsh.

Hi Meikel, sorry if my email came off as being a bit critical but I'm not
sure what I said was necessarily inaccurate - perhaps a little unhelpful.
 It seems (from my limited observations) that most of the Clojure developers
are Linux/Mac people so it's understandable that Windows isn't currently as
well supported by all tools.  That is meant more as a general observation
than a criticism.

My own problems getting emacs set up were more of an issue with ELPA than
Clojure-Swank in particular.  The Lein setup is a known shortcoming
currently that hopefully will be corrected at some point.  I hope so because
it seems to be becoming a standard in the community.  If my Clojure improves
maybe Windows support is something I can take a look at myself.