On 26 Mar 2010, at 05:50, Chas Emerick wrote:

Because they're common processes that are ideally built once, and then reused with minor variation. Library reuse is generally considered to be a good thing in software development, so it strikes me as odd that many think that such practices should stop at the build's edge, as it were.

Reuse is fine, libraries are fine. But Maven seems to be a monolithic beast that does a zillion things automatically and without telling me. Sure, I can always add some magic incantations on the command line to change whatever I want, but I need to know and understand all that.

What I like is the Unix approach: each tool does one thing but does it well, and a flexible combination method (shells and pipes in the Unix case) permits everyone to customize the operations as necessary. That doesn't prevent anyone from providing easy-install scripts for end users, of course.

My two biggest gripes with Maven (which may be due to my ignorance) are:

1) No clear separation between building and dependency resolution. I want to be able to build and test my code with known versions of everything that are on my machine. This seems to be possible with Maven, but it's not made easy, and I haven't yet figured out how to verify that a build uses my versions instead of the versions downloaded from some repository that I didn't even pick myself.

2) Bad system integration. Maven is the only tool on my Mac that has its own proxy configuration. Everything else uses either the system settings (ideal) or takes the proxy from an environment variable. All those tools adapt automatically when I change networks (twice a day). Only Maven requires me to edit $HOME/.m2/settings.xml twice a day.

Konrad.