On 31/05/2010, at 10:44 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> I do agree with you for 'a' native wrapper.  What is your opinion for
> all native wrappers?  The thing is that each platform that requires
> native code is a source of tech support requests.  Now let me go with
> the things I have at work:
> 1: redhat 64 and 32 bit, various flavors
> 2: solaris x86 and sparc various flavors
> 3: aix various flavors
> 4: mac os various flavors including powerpc
> 5: windows
> 6 other linuxes

I care about Mac and Windows primarily, and building software that will sell
(not dev tools) requires good native look and feel.

> also lets not forget about LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues,

No Mac or Windows user would encounter these.

> incomparable
> installed libs, the need to go off the reservation to get something
> working.  Instead of yum working on my redhat boxes I need to compile
> a specific version of something *AND* make sure this app finds it but
> that the other apps do not.

And this is just one reason Linux on the desktop is a million miles from Mac
and Windows.

> well java is not good enough if you want a native look, you need C/C++
> and binding that java uses.  And why should Luke be a martyr and pay
> the price in his personal time/life for something that should be fun.

a) SWT is not martydom, and is a lot better than Swing for a native L&F
b) Luke asked for opinions.

> Also please keep in mind that "Better" is a good target and generally
> much more achievable then  superlative. Shipped is also a wonderful
> thing.  Better and shipped are really cool.  And if you keep shipping
> better thing you get to superlative.

Not if your toolkit (Swing) places an upper bound on the quality of your app.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

  -- J. M. Barre