On 31/05/2010, at 12:31 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:53:45 +0930
> Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 31/05/2010, at 10:44 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>>> also lets not forget about LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues,
>> No Mac or Windows user would encounter these.
>
> You forget that the Mac is a Unix box. It supports LD_LIBRARY_PATH. In
> an ideal world - where every developer did things right - you'd never
> need it on any system. We don't live in such a world. In particular,
> OSX tends to ship with obsolete versions of *very* popular Unix
> libraries. So much so that you wind up having to choose between
> building obsolete versions of the tools you want, losing valuable
> features and bug fixes; or building current versions of libraries in
> the system, leading to having to make sure your code and only your
> code finds it - even when you're dynamically loading frameworks that
> want to use the system version of the same library.
>
> On Windows, the problem is so common it's been given the name "DLL
> hell".

I build installers that include chains of co-dependent base libraries with
isolating setups (programatically mutated binary and load paths) for multiple
platforms, so I know about this issue, but I'm talking specifically about SWT
which doesn't suffer from that problem.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Hi, I'd like to do $THING. I know that $SOLUTION_A and $SOLUTION_B will do it
very easily and for a very reasonable price, but I don't want to use
$SOLUTION_A or $SOLUTION_B because $VAGUE_REASON and $CONTRADICTORY_REASON.
Instead, I'd like your under-informed ideas on how to achieve my
$POORLY_CONCEIVED_AMBITIONS using Linux, duct tape, an iPod, and hours and
hours of my precious time.
  -- Slashdot response to an enquiry