On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:53:45 +0930
Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/05/2010, at 10:44 AM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> > also lets not forget about LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues,
> No Mac or Windows user would encounter these.

You forget that the Mac is a Unix box. It supports LD_LIBRARY_PATH. In
an ideal world - where every developer did things right - you'd never
need it on any system. We don't live in such a world. In particular,
OSX tends to ship with obsolete versions of *very* popular Unix
libraries. So much so that you wind up having to choose between
building obsolete versions of the tools you want, losing valuable
features and bug fixes; or building current versions of libraries in
the system, leading to having to make sure your code and only your
code finds it - even when you're dynamically loading frameworks that
want to use the system version of the same library.

On Windows, the problem is so common it's been given the name "DLL
hell".

    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html