On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
cageface <milese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I read about new "features" in other languages that would be
> simple macros in Lisp I just have to smile:
> http://docs.python.org/dev/reference/compound_stmts.html#with

Many in the Python community consider this an advantage of Python. It
means semantic changes only get added to the language after proper
consideration by the community, the experts who maintain the language,
and the BDFL. Common LISP (or more accurately, the evolution from LISP
1.5 through the many and sundry dialects and thence to Common LISP) is
held up as an example of how badly wrong allowing anyone to create
statements can go.

But yeah, many people in the Python community also want LISP-like
macros, extolling the virtues of "with" so often that it was added to
the language. And a nice addition it was (seems kinda old these
days...).

       <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html