On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM, cageface <milese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I read about new "features" in other languages that would be
> simple macros in Lisp I just have to smile:
> http://docs.python.org/dev/reference/compound_stmts.html#with

That feature would *not* be a simple macro. It isn't simply a call to .close
on whatever object, it's an arbitrary cleanup procedure on any object that
implements the feature. The whole standard library implements it and objects
know how to clean after themselves. So do most third objects like database
connexions and what not.

We can take care of 95% of cases with simply calling close and that's easily
macro-able but unless with implement cleanup procedures for all of the
mutable objects of the java library we don't have *that* feature.