Erlang basically treats strings in one or two ways. 1) as pure binary
data (useless for most cases) or 2) as a list of numbers. Imagine if
clojure treated strings like this: (43, 22, 23, 32, 43)

So when you print any list in Erlang it checks to make sure if all the
numbers in the list are in a valid ascii range, if so it prints the
data as a string, if not, it uses a list format like above. Yes, it is
truly terrible.

Timothy