On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Daniel Gagnon <redalas...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is the question I had on the blog post- what is meant by a "newbie"?
>> Specifically, what sort of newbie is Clojure wanting to attract?  One of the
>> "complaints" the original poster had was that you had a choice of editors.
>> Of the pool of potential Clojure users, how many of them are not already
>> familiar with one (or more) of vi, emacs, or eclipse/other Java IDE?  If not
>> 0, then it surely must be very small.  That you can adopt Clojure without
>> having to learn a new editor is a huge plus in my book (if I have to use
>> your development environment to learn your language, I'm highly unlikely to
>> learn your language).
>>

> How many? Most of the ones who come from a Ruby/Python background where
> those editors are not very popular.

What editors do they use?

And is there a reason that the same editors can't be used for Clojure?

>> One of Clojure's biggest strengths, IMHO, is the ease of adoption in
>> situations where a Java tool chain already exists.  A lot of the complaints
>> he has stand in opposition to this.  For example, the plethora of different
>> build tools that can be used.  Or that Clojure is just a library, and all
>> you need to do is deploy a couple of extra jars to deploy Clojure code.
>>

> Most of the newbies who come to clojure do not come from the pool of Java
> programmers, they come to clojure from a programming language that is
> already more flexible than Java. Only 32% come from Java according to a
> recent survey (State of Clojure 2010) that number would most likely be lower
> if we did a better job a retaining people who lack java knowledge.

I was thinking in terms of bringing Java with us into new environments.
"Hire me- I know Clojure (and some Java), and can be functional expertise
and the advantages of functional programming (insert rant here) into your
existing Java environment.  Your existing version control, build system,
editor/IDE, existing code base, etc. all are just fine.  All you need to do
is deploy these couple of extra jars."  This is a much easier sell than
going in and saying the existing infrastructure needs to be scrapped, and
all new IDEs, version control, code bases, etc. need to be rolled out.

Brian