On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Zach Tellman <ztell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the Bay Area user group meeting in June, there was a very
> interesting discussion about how to best use Clojure's concurrency
> primitives to field large numbers of concurrent requests, especially
> in a long-poll/push type application.  We didn't arrive at any solid
> conclusion, but it was clear to everyone that a thread-per-request
> model is especially gratuitous for a language like Clojure.
>
> With this in mind, I decided to make the thinnest possible wrapper
> around Netty such that a person could play around with alternate ways
> to use Clojure effectively.  The result can be found at
> http://github.com/ztellman/aleph.
>
> I've just discovered another Netty wrapper was released this weekend
> (http://github.com/datskos/ring-netty-adapter), but it's somewhat
> different in its design and intent; it couples the request and
> response to allow for seamless interop with Ring.
>
> Anyways, I hope some people find this interesting.  Clojure doesn't
> seem to have found its own voice w.r.t. web development; hopefully we
> can work together to fix that.

It's great to see Clojure weighing in on the evented webserver. As far as
feedback, it would be nice to see at least one example where aleph allows
you to use the Clojure concurrency primitives in ways that are not possible
with Ring and the Jetty adapter. Otherwise I'm a bit lost as to how to start
playing around :)

David