On Dec 14, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Ken Wesson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's what archives are for
>
> Are you honestly suggesting I search the archives for every word of
> every thought that it ever occurs to me to post here?
>
> I don't have that kind of time and I doubt anyone else does. If anyone
> started to actually enforce such a rule, participation here would drop
> to practically zero overnight.

That's a mighty fine straw man you have there. And how deftly you knock it down!

>> Are you saying that simplifying existing code provides no benefit?
>
> If it breaks existing client code then yes. Simplifying internals
> without altering API semantics is generally a good thing; when the API
> semantics start changing, though, an unequivocal improvement becomes a
> tradeoff that might tip either way.
>
> Changing the behavior of arithmetic operators that are found in
> virtually every extant source file is going to have a very big
> downside in broken backward compatibility. If there's an upside, it
> would have to be staggeringly enormous to make such a change
> worthwhile.

The claim I responded to was: "it cannot logically ever be a point against
keeping current behavior". You are now arguing a much weaker claim, that the
upside of simplifying existing code is unlikely to outweigh the drawbacks of
breaking existing code.