On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Ken Wesson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> That's what archives are for
>>
>> Are you honestly suggesting I search the archives for every word of
>> every thought that it ever occurs to me to post here?
>>
>> I don't have that kind of time and I doubt anyone else does. If anyone
>> started to actually enforce such a rule, participation here would drop
>> to practically zero overnight.
>
> That's a mighty fine straw man you have there. And how deftly you knock it
> down!

How rude. It is not a straw man. People criticized me for not having
read a thread that was posted before I came here but that happened to
be relevant. There's simply no way I could have known about that
thread unless I routinely searched the archive for everything that
might be remotely tangentially related to anything I was considering
posting, and if I did THAT I'd spend far more time searching the
archive than doing anything else.

Moreover, there's simply no way I could have known about your
EXPECTATION that I'd have read that thread short of telepathy!

Now please drop this. I have done nothing wrong nor have I been
exceptionally lazy or indolent. I may have raised a topic you don't
like and consider to have been discussed to death -- tough. Nobody's
forcing you to respond, or even to read, topics you don't like.

For example, I ignore the reams and reams of how-to-configure-emacs
posts this list gets, since I don't use emacs and thus don't find that
material interesting. I don't instead pop up every two or three posts
in those threads complaining that this is a Clojure forum, not an
Emacs forum, or remarking "gee, Emacs sure is hard to configure, why
don't you just use normal software with a normal Mac/Windows UI like
everybody else?".

Surely you can do likewise with primitive-arithmetic threads if you
dislike those.

>>> Are you saying that simplifying existing code provides no benefit?
>>
>> If it breaks existing client code then yes. Simplifying internals
>> without altering API semantics is generally a good thing; when the API
>> semantics start changing, though, an unequivocal improvement becomes a
>> tradeoff that might tip either way.
>>
>> Changing the behavior of arithmetic operators that are found in
>> virtually every extant source file is going to have a very big
>> downside in broken backward compatibility. If there's an upside, it
>> would have to be staggeringly enormous to make such a change
>> worthwhile.
>
> The claim I responded to was: "it cannot logically ever be a point against
> keeping current behavior". You are now arguing a much weaker claim, that the
> upside of simplifying existing code is unlikely to outweigh the drawbacks of
> breaking existing code.

No, I'm arguing a completely unrelated claim. I didn't consider my
earlier claim to be in dispute, since it is pretty much self-evidently
correct and you didn't subsequently address it.

To be exact, I had said that "it's hard to implement" can be a reason
against adding new behavior, but that it is never a reason not to keep
the current behavior -- hard to implement or not, the current behavior
is ALREADY implemented.

You didn't remark upon that, but instead said that it could simplify
the code internals. That's a separate matter from what's hard to
implement. You're not talking implementing arithmetic from scratch but
re-implementing it. Re-implementing it is, obviously, harder than not
changing anything at all. So you're doing something
harder-than-nothing and that breaks backwards compatibility. That
requires a justification and I'm not sure "it makes the
compiler/library source code simpler" is sufficient when the backwards
compatibility breakage isn't just for some relatively infrequently
used feature (such as, say, the changes to agent error handling a
version or so ago) but is going to affect almost every application and
library out there.

Again, there'd have to be a staggering further benefit from the change
than just "the clojure.core code looks cleaner in github" or even "the
code is a bit easier to maintain in the future". I'm not sure that
even massive increases in code maintainability alone suffice for
something like this. A major, massively end-user-useful new feature
that's nigh-impossible to implement otherwise that can then be
implemented *might* suffice.