On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Chas Emerick <cemer...@snowtide.com> wrote:
> The Google Code site *is* the ccw site

Really? That is ... non-obvious.

> I'd think that, for a relatively young IDE plugin, that wouldn't be a
>"problem"

I'd think the opposite -- that's when it most needs growth in its
user-base, and users not being able to quickly find via Google an
*obvious* home site will hamper adoption.

> especially since the project's wiki has a plethora of information that is
> prominently linked.

It's too bad, then, that the project's wiki is not prominently and
*obviously* one of the google results.

>  FWIW, the latest release of ccw is also available through the in-IDE
> Eclipse Marketplace.

"Marketplace"? That doesn't sound good. Are they actually charging
money for it? I very much doubt that would be viable. For La Clojure
it could be; users of that have already proven willing and able to
part with money over the 'net for their development tools. Eclipse
users on the other hand have already made one choice of free over paid
in that area.

> There's also the "Getting Started" pages in assembla, which is listed
> highly for nearly any "clojure <dev tool name>" search you might run:
> http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Getting_Started

I noticed Assembla results in all my google searches, but pretty much
ignored them; my readings here and elsewhere have "taught" me that
Assembla is an issue tracker and maybe another code repository site,
and therefore unlikely to be of interest except to developers of the
things you find there and those who wish to report bugs. And for bug
reporting, you apparently have to register and get some kind of a
login there. "Members-only site mainly for the developers of
Clojure/CCW/Enclojure/whatever" is thus how it "smells" to someone
searching for information on any of those, so few users are likely to
surf there. Also, "third-party/repository" vs. "the home page I'm
looking for".

> The Enclojure site is definitely very nice.  Laurent may have plans to
> build something similar for ccw -- I don't know.

I'd recommend that course of action.