On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Stuart Sierra
<the.stuart.sie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The goal of primitive math is better performance in the common case.

Of course, this better performance is not needed "in the common case",
IMO, but only in hotspots that do number crunching, where people
already optimize using primitive locals, coercion, and unchecked-foo.

> The implementation makes the assumptions that Java long is big enough for
> nearly all cases

It also makes the assumption that the Java long is as fast as native
arithmetic. Which, on a lot of 32-bit hardware, it won't be.

> and that auto-promotion to BigInteger (and the resulting performance hit) is
> rarely desirable.

Debatable. I, for one, prefer to have unadorned arithmetic be correct
at the expense of a little speed, while still having a way to get the
speed in performance-critical parts of my code.