On Feb 12, 1:28 pm, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Isaac Gouy wrote:
>
> > Yeah but it's not too hard to see why the Lisp programmer Juho
> > Snellman opined on HN "the [sic program] implementations seem to have
> > totally dived off the deep end of complexity".
>
> That's why this kind of competition is not interesting to me. As it only
> compares the fastest programs, there's every incentive to submit horrifically
> complex, optimized-to-the-hilt solutions that would almost never get used in
> the real world.
>
> Rather than ask "what's the fastest this can be done in language X?", we
> should ask "how fast are the idiomatic ways of doing this in language X" and
> possibly "how hard is it to do it faster, when those are not good enough?".

Looking at the benchmarks game web page showing the "fasta" programs:
- 4 different Clojure programs are shown
- 2 different Java programs are shown
- 4 different C programs are shown
etc

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/performance.php?test=fasta

> Possibly just including code size/complexity with the performance metric
> would do the trick, though measuring that cross-language is a challenge all
> its own.

There is a column showing compressed source code size for each
program.

And then there's
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/code-used-time-used-shapes.php