On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 11:33 -0500, Steve Miner wrote:
> The choice boils down to whether or not you want to follow Semantic
> Versioning [1].  Apache (APR) [2], Eclipse [3], and OSGi [4] all seem to have
> equivalent policies.  Personally, I think it's a perfectly logical approach
> to increment the major version number for any backwards incompatible change.
>
> Python officially has a more relaxed interpretation [5].  My understanding is
> that in practice the Python community was very concerned about backwards
> compatibility among the late 2.x releases because 3.0 was going to introduce
> big changes.
>
> > Python versions are numbered A.B.C or A.B. A is the major version number –
> > it is only incremented for really major changes in the language. B is the
> > minor version number, incremented for less earth-shattering changes. C is
> > the micro-level – it is incremented for each bugfix release.
>
> The Wikipedia article on software versioning [6] covers some other concerns
> such as marketing.  I guess that takes into account the idea that "2.0"
> should be a major improvement.
>
> As I said, I personally like the concept of semantic versioning.  If Rich
> wants to do something else, I can live with an incompatible 1.3.  In any
> case, it would be useful for the Clojure Core team to document the Clojure
> version policy.
>

> [1] http://semver.org
>
> [2] http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
>
> [3] http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering
>
> [4] http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/Links/SemanticVersioning.pdf
>
> [5]
> http://docs.python.org/faq/general.html#how-does-the-python-version-numbering-scheme-work
>
> [6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

I agree. One thing we should keep in mind is that if we're going to
follow semantic versioning, we should not plan *any*
backwards-incompatible changes in the near future. In other words, after
2.0, we should be done changing the language for a while, or we'll risk
bumping major versions on every release.