Hi all,

I've decided to offer a 200 USD bounty for implementing "ClojureScript" (a
tentative name), a Clojure API and a convenient command line utility for
performing quick system admin tasks, text manipulation tasks, command line
scripting, etc. similar to the use cases of bash/awk/sed or bash along with
/usr/bin/perl . If you're interested in doing this let me know.

Motivation:
-----------

For a long time, I've desired a usable and popular dialect of Lisp, which was
the promise of Paul Graham's Arc ( http://www.paulgraham.com/arc.html ) and of
several other attempts, including some of my own attempts nicknamed "Park" and
"Spark". Now, it seems that the most trendy dialect of Lisp has become
Clojure, and while I challenge some of its design decisions, it seems pretty
nice.

One of the things that make a language popular and likable is its utility for
quick-and-dirty tasks. For further motivation please see:

* http://www.paulgraham.com/popular.html

* http://www.paulgraham.com/power.html

* http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/perl/joy-of-perl/

* http://xoa.petdance.com/Stop_saying_%22script%22

* http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/FiveWorlds.html - see what he says
about "throwaway" code vs. inhouse code vs. "shrinkwrap" code.

* http://www.perl.com/pub/2007/12/06/soto-11.html - Larry Wall's "Programming
is Hard, Let's Go Scripting".

*
http://perl.org.il/presentations/larry-wall-present-continuous-future-
perfect/transcript.html

(short URL - http://xrl.us/bhks6t ).

* http://perl.plover.com/yak/12views/samples/notes.html#sl-39 - titled "Why
Lisp Will Never Win" - comparing and contrasting Common Lisp to Awk and Perl.

---

How to do it:
-------------

The one who will perform the task, will look at the scripting capabilities of
Perl 5, Ruby, Perl 6, Python, Bash and zsh (one can use Freenode for asking
questions about them) and will devise a specification for implementing
something similar in Clojure.

Afterwards, they will implement it as a user-land, high-level API above
Clojure with a simple command line front-end tentatively called "lurk", which
will be useful for it. Once completed, they will get the money, and credit.

The licence of the newly written code has to be the MIT/X11 licence (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License ) or a similar permissive licence
compatible with both the GPLv2 and the GPLv3.

Please let me know if you have further questions. You can contact me in
various ways here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/me/contact-me/

(I prefer either one of my Jabber accounts or MSN as IM, and I don't always
have IRC on.)

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish