Hi Armando,

thanks for your E-mail.

On Friday 04 Mar 2011 21:29:37 Armando Blancas wrote:
> Have you look at Scsh?
>
> http://www.scsh.net/about/what.html
>
> It's not the most trendy, but being a Scheme at least is nice.

I've learned some SICP Scheme as part of reading the SICP courses and later on
taking the two courses as part of my University B.Sc. (which proved to be
enlightening on their own right, because when I read the book, I skipped over
the exercises.). I see several problems with Scheme:

1. The standard library does not define or did not define many important
primitives for handling files and directories, sockets, and other high level
APIs: for GUIs, for writing server-side web-scripts (CGI/etc.), for unified
database access (SQL/etc.), for client-side HTTP programming, etc. There are
some implmentation-specific extensions for various Scheme implementations, but
they are few and far between and don't reach the scope of Perl's CPAN or the
Java Standard Library along with third party extensions such as Apache's
Jakarta.

2. There are several competing Scheme implementations. While most Scheme
implementations out there are sort of a proof-of-concept or rite-of-passage
for every programmer (see:
http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Programs-Every-Programmer-has-Written/ )
there are still a proliferation of some highly developed ones which compete
for the same mindshare and offer incompatible APIs.

3. The Scheme core language is very verbose by default. (My favourite Scheme
expression is «(vector-set! myarray idx (1+ (vector-ref myarray idx)))». While
this verbosity can be mitigated by writing many functions and macros, it still
has a lot of initial overhead and as Larry Wall notes "programmers hate
abstractions." and want things to be usable by default.

4. Finally, I should note that in general Scheme has a very impractical feel
to it, and one gets the impression that they cannot use it for anything that
is useful on a day to day programming. Read the links in the original message
for more about that.

Maybe it's just a feeling.

-------------------------------

It seems that Clojure fares better on all of these points, so I think it can
be a better basis for a scripting language.

> Anyone capable of doing the job properly either won't take any money
> or won't come cheap, so you might be better of offering a round of
> beer or request bids.

If you want to do it in exchange for a T-shirt (your choice) and/or a beverage
of your choice, then all the power to you. I can donate the money to ${their
favourite charity}.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

[Trimming the quoted message].