> I didn't have much trouble getting things running. Is
> the CLASSPATH really so much different to the PYTHONPATH,
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or even the plain old PATH itself?

No, it's not that much different, except python is a bit more smart
about how things are setup. For instance, if you startup script.py
python will not only search PYTHONPATH, but also search the directory
where the python executable lives, as well as the current path.

On top of that, python (unlike lein, and I guess java as well) prefers
that all modules be installed in the python home directory. So the end
effect is I have been able to write python projects for years, and
only once have had to set the PYTHONPATH variable.

The same goes for LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The only time I've had to set that
variable is when I'm doing something funky like writing a plugin.

But the issue is, all these IDEs out there don't follow any of these
methods. So if you want to launch clojure with penumbra, not only do
you have to set the CLASSPATH, but you also have to set the -D
variable to point to the native libs. Even when I finally knew how to
set all this up, it still took me about 3 hours to get La Clojure to
recognize it all. And that was after trying and giving up on
Enclojure.

And don't even try to compare all this to the CLR...the gac, Visual
Studio, and the way the CLR links assemblies means that I've
never...ever...had to set a CLR path. And I program C# for a living.

Timothy