On Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:34:02 PM UTC+1, tbc++ wrote:

> > I didn't have much trouble getting things running. Is
> > the CLASSPATH really so much different to the PYTHONPATH,
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH or even the plain old PATH itself?
>
> No, it's not that much different, except python is a bit more smart
> about how things are setup. For instance, if you startup script.py
> python will not only search PYTHONPATH, but also search the directory
> where the python executable lives, as well as the current path.
>
> On top of that, python (unlike lein, and I guess java as well) prefers
> that all modules be installed in the python home directory. So the end
> effect is I have been able to write python projects for years, and
> only once have had to set the PYTHONPATH variable.

The same goes for LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The only time I've had to set that
> variable is when I'm doing something funky like writing a plugin.
>
> But the issue is, all these IDEs out there don't follow any of these
> methods. So if you want to launch clojure with penumbra, not only do
> you have to set the CLASSPATH, but you also have to set the -D
> variable to point to the native libs. Even when I finally knew how to
> set all this up, it still took me about 3 hours to get La Clojure to
> recognize it all. And that was after trying and giving up on
> Enclojure.
>
> And don't even try to compare all this to the CLR...the gac, Visual
> Studio, and the way the CLR links assemblies means that I've
> never...ever...had to set a CLR path. And I program C# for a living.

I program Java for a living, and I never had to set CLASSPATH (in order to
program in Java). In general my experience with Java software is that you
unpack it where you want and it works as-is.
I also use ABCL in my spare time (a JVM Common Lisp - for the purpose of
this discussion, it makes no difference with Clojure). There, when I don't
launch my program through Eclipse (which manages the classpath for me), I
just put all the jars in a lib/ directory under the project directory and
run java -cp ".*:lib/*" ... yes, you have to write a script once, but then
you just forget about it.