On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM, daly <d...@axiom-developer.org> wrote:
> Maven and Leiningen are really just "JCL reborn". About the
> only advance is that you don't have to specify the cylinders.

Oh you're bringing back terrible memories from my youth! JCL... I
thought once I'd left the insurance industry I'd never have to see
those three letters again! :)

> If you're going to really be a lisper and use Clojure for more
> than a "Java scripting language" then you might want to invest
> effort in using emacs.

I really think that depends on what other technologies you want to
work with. I used Emacs in the 80's. It was great then - absolutely
best of breed. I recently tried it again - because of Clojure - and it
was like taking a step back 20+ years, IMO. I'm using Clojure as part
of a large project that already has multiple languages, all running on
the JVM, as well as CSS, JS, HTML, SQL, and using Tomcat as the
container for testing / deployment. Eclipse handles all of that with a
small collection of plugins in rich, Java-centric manner - which is
what I need.

If you are writing a pure Clojure system and, for you, the JVM is a
necessary evil to run the end result, then Emacs is probably worth the
effort but for me it would be a *huge* shift in my workflow and a very
steep learning curve. For anyone coming from a Java background, I
don't think recommending Emacs is at all helpful...

> This won't get you a corporate job though. I've been writing
> lisp code for 40 years and I can't find anyone willing to hire
> me for my lisp skills. Perhaps there is something to this whole
> "IDE" thing after all :-)

*chuckle*
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN