On Jul 3, 2:26 am, Mark Engelberg <mark.engelb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ideally, I was hoping to start a more in-depth discussion about the
> pros and cons of "programming in the large" in Clojure than just
> waxing poetic about Clojure/Lisp's capabilities in the abstract :)

I am yet to do a large program in clojure, I still need to be
convinced in the "ok, so far so good, but where is this going?" but I
have this to say: large programs are primarily an architectural and
secondarily a managerial/organizational concern, not a language issue,
and large programs have been my prime driving consideration over the
years.

In terms of "where is this going?", I would be quite concerned if the
clojure community develops an unreasonably negative attitude towards
OO (I don't believe Rich Hickey himself has a negative attitude, I
believe his attitude is reasonable and balanced) and, on the other
hand, believes it would "do well to learn from the oral histories of
the early days of Ruby". Well, I believe it would do well to learn
from Ruby, but as a cautionary tale.

All those little niggling issues you mention cause me no worry, either
they could be worked around - or perhaps even properly understood - or
they're easily fixable as the language implementation/tools mature,
with the exception of "in large part because failures usually occur
within close proximity of the flaw that triggered the failure"; I
mentioned some concerns I had about datatypes/protocols, I'm yet to
make my mind up on that, in particular with regard to "failures
usually occur within close proximity of the flaw", I still need to
study them more.

I wish the Clojure community to learn from two sources. 1) Java
itself, and in particular what is happening with the service component
architecture (SCA). Clojure makes those good engineering practices of
services and contracts feasible for a small team or even an individual
developer. I'm not saying that clojure would necessarily work with
those frameworks, for that I believe Scala is better positioned, but I
believe clojure should be mindful of what's happening there, as I
believe that to be the biggest threat and hurdle Clojure faces in
terms of its enterprise utility and adoption. The Service Component
Architecture is incredibly well thought out, and it already has
industry titans singed up to it. 2) RDF/OWL, or otherwise called the
resource oriented architecture, or the global giant graph. I believe
if clojure plays it cards well then that - the semantic web - could be
its killer application. This too is a well thought out and compelling
architecture, and I believe Clojure is uniquely well positioned for
it.