On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Jeremy Dunck <jdu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's not hard to think up the likely objections from a lot of people,
>> too, and why they'd be looking for something new:
>> Python: poor performance
>>
>> Javascript: interpreted, so slow; "isn't this just for adding annoying
>> ads to web pages"?; "I turn that shit off in my browser, why would I
>> want to actually write the stuff?" :)
>
> For what it's worth, the story is changing on both of these.  See V8
> and PyPy.  I agree these still hold as common objections, but the
> facts argue the perception now.

Yes, I know. In my opinion, the objections to JS and to Erlang that I
named are illegitimate (besides performance as an objection to JS,
anyway); but they're likely to reflect common perception and knee-jerk
reactions, too, and it is upon this fact that I was remarking.

Python's major weakness, in this multicore age, is the global
interpreter lock -- has there been any progress on creating a viable
Python breed that has true concurrency?

--
Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true