On Jul 24, 2011, at 2:08 PM, James Keats wrote:

> On Jul 24, 7:24 pm, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The functional parts of Javascript are far different from those of Clojure
>> (and not in a good way).
>
> How so? javasript, while not as functional as clojure, is far more
> functional than java ( first class functions, closures, anonymous
> functions etc.

Javascript is simply painful to use functionally. The verbosity of anonymous
functions, the lack of crucial HOFs like map/filter/reduce, the lack of
functional data structures, the lack of macros (not strictly a "functional"
feature, but especially useful with functional code)... You can fix these to
varying degrees with libraries; but in any case the overall superiority of
Clojure syntax and data structures must be obvious to anyone interested in
ClojureScript, since those are the sole advantages it provides over Javascript.

> A small subset of clojure would mirror and could expand
> on a small subset of javascript); it's been called a "Lisp in C's
> Clothing", and Brendan Eich famously and repeatedly said "As I’ve
> often said, and as others at Netscape can confirm, I was recruited to
> Netscape with the promise of “doing Scheme” in the browser" Back at
> Netscape "doing a scheme in the browser" was botched a bit by a deal
> with Sun and "the diktat from upper engineering management was that
> the language must “look like Java”."[1], and whereas clojure/
> clojurescript now had an opportunity to correct that, instead it's
> piling on the Java-ism with gClosure.

Why should we care what kind of Javascript ClojureScript generates, as long as
it's correct and performant? The whole point of the project is to allow us to
write Clojure rather than Javascript!