On 1 Sep 2011, at 09:35, Alan Malloy wrote:

> I don't see any reason for it to include !=, which can be implemented
> as (not (= a b)). Conversely, <= could be implemented as (or (< a b)
> (= a b)), but if either of those is expensive operations he gives you
> a chance to do a more-optimized <=. There's not much point in forcing
> people to implement not= for each data type, if it can be implemented
> once elsewhere.

Interesting - perhaps I misunderstand the usage of the library - so please
correct me if I'm on the wrong track.

We currently use the library to overload many of the standard mathematical
operations which have a double meaning in a signal processing context. From
what I understand of the generic libs, they give you a way of overriding these
operations using multimethods. I'm interested in overriding != in a similar way:

      (defmethod (symbol "clojure.contrib.generic.comparison" "!=")
[:overtone.sc.ugen.sc-ugen/sc-ugen :overtone.sc.ugen.sc-ugen/sc-ugen]
         [a b]
         (my-special-ugen-not-equal-impl a b))

How might this be achieved by overriding other operations?

Sam

---
http://sam.aaron.name