On Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:25:21 PM UTC-5, Andy Fingerhut wrote:

> Tal, did you consider the possibility of staying with Clojure 1.2.1 and its
> libraries?  Or was that not under consideration for some reason?

It was a consideration, but the cons seemed to outweigh the pros.

Staying with 1.2 meant not only staying with the Clojure core, which worked
fine, but also losing any progress on any of the contribs, which was frankly
more important to me than core language changes. Perhaps part of the really
big issue here is not Clojure per se, but the contribs. In one fell swoop,
the entire contrib universe for 1.2 was being deprecated. I saw no
commitment anywhere that bug fixes would be backported to the 1.2 contrib
library. (I'm not making a principled stand here: the clojure contrib
library as of 1.2 was very spotty in quality, and required many workarounds
for bugs in my code. I very much look forward to fixes there.)

I should also mention that I'm a maintainer of two open source projects in
the Clojure ecosystem. As such, I had some responsibility to keep them up to
date with 1.3. It's been a bumpy ride there, too, but I knew what I was
signing up for. :)