On Sep 28, 1:30 pm, Gary Poster <gary.pos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2011, at 1:26 AM, Sean Corfield wrote:
>
> Perhaps Java has been different, but the languages I use and follow have not,
> with the exception of JavaScript.  I perceive it to be a mildly unfortunate
> fact of life at this point.
>
> Gary

Java is backward compatible. You know that by default you can run old
legacy code on lastest JVM without problem.

This is one of the reason JAVA is so successfull in enterprise world,
you can take code from year 2000, run it on latest VM, and the only
change is that this code will run dramatically faster.

Clojure itself really benefit from java popularity and stability.
Imagine if clojure couldn't run JVM7 without a significant effort to
update clojure compiler !

This is also a reason why JAVA has difficulties to have latest and
greatest features and to inovate... Java fail to really improve.

I think that clojure/core team is doing its best to ensure backward
compatibility and break it only when there are prevalent reasons to do
it.