On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Tal Liron <tal.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:25:21 PM UTC-5, Andy Fingerhut wrote:
>>
>> Tal, did you consider the possibility of staying with Clojure 1.2.1 and
>> its libraries?  Or was that not under consideration for some reason?
>>

> It was a consideration, but the cons seemed to outweigh the pros.
>
> Staying with 1.2 meant not only staying with the Clojure core, which worked
> fine, but also losing any progress on any of the contribs, which was frankly
> more important to me than core language changes. Perhaps part of the really
> big issue here is not Clojure per se, but the contribs. In one fell swoop,
> the entire contrib universe for 1.2 was being deprecated. I saw no
> commitment anywhere that bug fixes would be backported to the 1.2 contrib
> library. (I'm not making a principled stand here: the clojure contrib
> library as of 1.2 was very spotty in quality, and required many workarounds
> for bugs in my code. I very much look forward to fixes there.)

To give some context:

Contrib is not nor ever was a standard library. It was never maintained by
the core team beyond providing the jar. It was simply a way to encourage
community involvement in a young language. Given the near total lack of
maintenance / improvement activity on any library packaged in monolithic
Contrib in over a *year* is a big adoption warning signal.

People involved in Clojure from the early days I think knew to stay clear of
it for production code. It's unfortunate that you and Arthur have had to
learn this the hard way catching Clojure at a transition. But the new system
makes making an informed judgement about adopting a particular contrib
library easier (separate activity, not tied to core release cycle, JIRA,
etc).

A PITA but Clojure adoption continues to grow quickly regardless of the
opinions of various pundits and this change needs to happen now not later in
order to scale community contributions w/o bogging down the activities of
core.

David