2011/12/6 jlhouchin <jlhouc...@gmail.com>:
> On 12/6/2011 12:23 AM, Laurent PETIT wrote:

>>> I tried that. But as I was on a new line after hitting the enter/
>>> return key. It wouldn't go back to the previous line.  I would have
>>> loved that it did. That the backspace could backspace over newlines.
>>> That would be sweet.
>>>
>>> Now, I do not know if there are any difference in repls or if there is
>>> only one repl. I was using the default 1.3 repl.
>>
>> There are also REPLs embedded in all the major editors / IDEs. As a
>> shameless plug, I'd say that the namespace of Counterclockwise, a
>> Clojure Feature for Eclipse, does the job quite well (input history,
>> syntax coloration, code completion, hyperlinks, non-blocking sends,
>> multiline input area with auto-indentation, namespace browser with
>> search box&  documentation on mouse over / go to source on mouse
>> double click, etc.)
>>
>> If you're interested, go to its "Getting Started page" :
>> http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started+with+Eclipse+and+Counterclockwise
>>
>> If you do not know / like Eclipse, then just start again from this
>> general starting page to see what best suits your needs:
>> http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started
>
> Hello Laurent, and also Petr from his post. Thank you for your
> replies.
>
> I have already selected Counterclockwise to use for editing. I am a
> longtime Smalltalker, so I like rich environments. But I have yet to
> learn how to use it much.
>
> I have not seen how to simply open a REPL like I would use to go
> through the books examples. When I go through the menus, I see a
> Connect to REPL option. But I have no REPLs to connect to. I did not
> know how to connect or use a REPL within ccw.
>
> So, upon the writing of this email I went to search the ccw group
> archives. I had already joined a week or so ago. I found how to open a
> REPL.
>
> It took me a moment to learn how to execute a statement which was
> entered. Then I happened upon ctrl-enter.
>
> This biggest issue I see in this context, is that the REPL is tied to
> the editor. Yes, I can detach the REPL, but it is still a part of the
> editor. I can't have the pdf of my book side by side with the REPL. As
> soon as I click on the REPL, the entire editor comes to the top,
> putting my book behind. Making it impossible to see the code I am
> attempting to enter.
>
> Is there a way to run this REPL completely independent of the editor?

Hello Jimmie,

Sorry for the inconvenience on the undocumented "Ctrl+Enter". That's
something I'm working on and will be fixed in the next release.

> Also, I do not see any way to go back in history with this REPL as I
> can with the other.

Yes, currently, a REPL in CCW will be tied to a project, which will
provide the "classpath context" for the REPL, among other things.

Then, once the REPL is started, you can maximize it via Ctrl+M (on
Windows/Linux).

Hope that helps,

-- Laurent