tl;dr

Is anyone working on a Clojure-Specific Emacs Environment?  If considered
but dismissed, then why?

----

I've just reviewed a thread about nREPL.  The thread also (somewhat
indirectly) calls into question the current practice of piggy-backing on
SLIME:

"About a networked REPL..."
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/clojure/iyqFHXkO0Mw/discussion

I also see a GSoC project,
http://dev.clojure.org/display/community/Google+Summer+of+Code+2012#GoogleSummerofCode2012-EmacsIDE
(I realize that this project's existence is probably my answer, but I
thought I'd check anyway.)

And lastly, this design page,
http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/IDE+tooling+backend

There also seems to be no shortage of (revised/deprecated) howto's and
confusion regarding Emacs and SLIME.  I can't help but think that this is
at least in part due to SLIME's release process and the various ways that
Clojure is not Common Lisp.  There also appears to have been some back and
forth on the slime-devel list that may exemplify this.

In any case, the fact remains that I still can't get the workaround to work
as smoothly as I'd like (for both an old and new installation of SLIME):

https://github.com/technomancy/swank-clojure/issues/66
(I can switch once between CL and Clojure, but then I get errors.)

While it may make sense to just fix the issues with maintaining multiple
versions of SLIME, all the facts seem to point towards a Clojure-Specific
Emacs Environment.

That said, there's certainly been a lot of work that's gone into
swank-clojure, clojure-mode, and clojure-test-mode so I can understand the
queasiness involved with a rewrite.  Also, I imagine that the CL part of
the community is quite small.  However, I'd also like to use swank-js with
a newer SLIME than currently works with clojure-mode as it appears to be
the best REPL integration for Javascript.  I imagine that the Javascript
part of the Clojure community is quite a bit larger (although the
Emacs+desire+for+REPL constraint certainly restricts that amount).

Finally, we get to the point.  Tool development is essential. And right now
my tools are becoming clojure-mode and things like kibit, slamhound,
swank-js, SLIME, and redshank.  I've tried to understand SLIME's
implementation a few times already.  At this point, I need to be able to
improve Clojure related tools a lot more than CL ones.  If I can defer
understanding SLIME, the more the better.  Lastly, I expect a rewrite could
stay relatively clean given that quite a bit of work can be pushed into
nREPL related tooling...where we can write in Clojure!