On Sunday, 27 May 2012 at 17:48, James wrote:

> Hi Sam, Emacs Live looks seriously cool,

wonderful! Thanks for the kind words

> however I have doubts about this:
>
> "Emacs live has only been tested with a terminal hosted Emacs
> 24.1.50.2 (pre-release). Issues and pull-requests for this and later
> versions will be happily accepted."
>
> This version isn't stable, should I go ahead and install it instead of
> the one I have (23.4)?

I only write that because that's the version I use and I've got no real drive
to maintain Emacs Live for all versions of Emacs. However, it *should* work
with Emacs 23, and I'll be happy to help out by answering questions if there
are issues, but it's nothing I'm going to actively work on to ensure
compatibility.

TL;DR My Emacs setup:

If you're interested, I happen to run a terminal hosted Emacs which I installed
via homebrew:

brew install emacs --use-git-head --HEAD

Also, I run Emacs as a server and then connect to it via emacsclient. This
allows me to use Emacs as a commit editor when I use the git command on the
console. For example:

git commit -v

will open up Emacs as the editor to write the commit message and to also view
the diff. If I wasn't running Emacs as a server, then this would have to load
up a new Emacs instance which isn't the speediest thing in the world. With a
server already running, it's as fast as vim to load up :-)

To run Emacs as a server you need to pass the daemon flag:

/usr/local/bin/emacs --daemon

I then alias emacsclient to emacs in my zsh profile:

alias emacs="/usr/local/bin/emacsclient -ct"

Now, if you want to edit a specific file, you can type:

emacs foo.clj

and it will open up via emacsclient in an instant.

In order to use the emacsclient as a shell editor for tools like git, you need
to bind emacsclient to the EDITOR variable:

export EDITOR='emacsclient -ct'

Hope this helps,

Sam

--