Thanks Sam, that was very detailed and helpful. I've installed Emacs
24.0.7 and Emacs Live. It's not a smooth experience though - I don't
know whether this is due to the Emacs version or something else.

For one, it doesn't play very well with the OS windowing system. When
I click on Emacs it doesn't always change the window focus from the
previous app to Emacs.

Secondly, when I type several commands in succession quickly, a
smallish white square keeps flashing in the middle of the Emacs
screen, then disappears.

Thirdly, when I try M-x slime I get: "Searching for program: no such
file or directory, lisp". (I have installed Leiningen2).

Quite frustrating that an editor takes so much tinkering to just set
up properly.

Cheers,
James