Hey James,

feedback like this is invaluable - thanks very much for taking the time to
write it.

It is true - using Emacs is *not* a smooth experience. I've tried to bake in a
good number of years experience getting Emacs to work smoothly into Emacs Live,
and whilst I don't claim it to be 'smooth' I still think it's a lot better than
the vanilla experience.

Let me address your points individually:

> For one, it doesn't play very well with the OS windowing system. When
> I click on Emacs it doesn't always change the window focus from the
> previous app to Emacs.

I've never seen or heard of this before. Do you get this behaviour with a
vanilla Emacs (i.e. not using the Emacs Live config)?

> Secondly, when I type several commands in succession quickly, a
> smallish white square keeps flashing in the middle of the Emacs
> screen, then disappears.

That smallish white square is the 'visual bell'. It comes up when Emacs wishes
to communicate that something isn't quite right.

As a temporary measure, try adding this to the end of ~/.emacs.d/init.el

(setq ring-bell-function 'ignore)

and let me know if that fixes things for you

> Thirdly, when I try M-x slime I get: "Searching for program: no such
> file or directory, lisp". (I have installed Leiningen2).

This is because you need to start a separate swank server and connect to it
with slime. See:

https://github.com/overtone/emacs-live#clojure-hacking

> Quite frustrating that an editor takes so much tinkering to just set
> up properly.

Just try to imagine the power you'll wield when you do get it working properly
:-) I have found the experience definitely worthwhile.

Sam

--
http://sam.aaron.name