On Jun 18, 10:23 pm, Chris Zheng <zcaud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was using textmate and a repl for the longest time because I was put off
> by the intricacies of emacs.. and then {snip}

> Now I have everything I need to develop in clojure like hinting,
> autocomplete and docs. Most importantly, it has a black background and
> fluro text by default. NO CUSTOMISATIONS!

Sometimes you need to spend time with an editor + repl to see the
value in something more sophisticated.

Also, I suppose sometimes you end up sticking with the editor + repl
anyway. :)

> {snip}
> So basically, if a 'lead clojure evangelist' can either 'officially' or
> 'unofficially' recommend ONE emacs setup, along with a bunch of
> videos/tutorials that demonstrate how to code and how fast it is to design
> and code using the repl. Then that be enough to get people at least
> interested.

People are very opinionated about their editor/IDE. I think the Getting
+Started docs are good --- they separate:

  * if you want just Emacs plus the repl, here you go (clojure-mode
readme)
  * if you want Emacs + inferior-lisp, do this (this doc needs work)
  * if you want Emacs + swank/slime, do this (swank-clojure readme)

and of course also info on Eclipse, Clooj, and other editors/ide's as
well.

But I certainly agree with you that screencasts/videos/tutorials for
each of those are very useful. Categorized links to such presentations
are just what wiki's are good at providing. I don't know what the
attitude is toward links like that on the confluence wiki, but I hope
they're welcomed. It's not so bad keeping links on wiki's up to date.
Now keeping full docs coherent in wikis is another matter ... :)

---John