On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, fenton <fenton.trav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry to be an absolute pain, but could we not have a single page that
>> has (almost everything) that a newbie might want to know.  Can't we be
>> a bit opinionated, like:

This has been discussed at length on several occasions and - whilst
many Clojurians end up with Emacs / Leiningen / Swank - the consensus
seems to be that is unreasonable as a first experience of Clojure.
Hence the Getting Started page suggests Try Clojure (no install at
all), Clooj, Leiningen and only then does it talk about IDEs.

For folks coming from a Java world, Eclipse or IntelliJ is going to be
a better experience than Emacs. For folks coming from Ruby or Python,
Leiningen and TextMate/Sublime Text 2 is probably the best
introductory experience (although there's no longer a page covering
those editors). Or vim.

For all Emacs' power, making it the default choice for newbies is
going to create a huge barrier to entry for people coming to Clojure.

>> Newbies don't want choices for options they don't understand.

The current Getting Started page is a vast simplification from what
was there before - and is the result of several rounds of refinement
by the community, with a lot of input from Clojure newbies.

>> What I'm really asking for is does the community (anyone) see value in
>> this type of thing, and if so can we create a github repo dedicated to the
>> purpose?

It might be useful to go back thru the list archives and read some of
the "getting started" threads that have got us where we are today. We
can definitely improve the documentation around Getting Started but
gaining consensus on how to do that has not proved easy so far :)
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."