not that I have any serious arguments agaisnt what you're saying but this sounds very limiting...where is the power then? what are the chances that you will be able to extend a particular protocol to many types without needing at least 2-3 arities...it's perfectly fine that an exception will be thrown if someone calls the wrong arity isn't it?

in addition, how about when extending a protocol to an interface that defines multiple arities? The concrete classes implementing that interface and thus your protocol, need to be able to be called with whichever arity is available. some other interface though may only defines a single arity but you still want to extend the protocol to - what do you do then?

this is the first time I'm hearing about this and if you cold expand that would be great...If one hangs out on the list enough, it doesn't take much brains to realise that you are very knowledgeable and always have good insights/suggestions so I'm only trying to learn.

 Jim