On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Jim - FooBar(); <jimpil1...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  not that I have any serious arguments agaisnt what you're saying but
> this sounds very limiting...where is the power then? what are the chances
> that you will be able to extend a particular protocol to many types without
> needing at least 2-3 arities...it's perfectly fine that an exception will
> be thrown if someone calls the wrong arity isn't it?

It's worth examining how protocols were done in ClojureScript. In every
case where a protocol fn has multiple arities they are all implemented.

The one outlier is IFn, and I don't personally have a good answer for that.

in addition, how about when extending a protocol to an interface that
> defines multiple arities? The concrete classes implementing that interface
> and thus your protocol, need to be able to be called with whichever arity
> is available. some other interface though may only defines a single arity
> but you still want to extend the protocol to - what do you do then?

Being able to extend protocols to interfaces is a nice JVM-centric
convenience. It's not clear to me the whether the peculiarities around
interface interop have much to do with the actual semantics of protocols.