On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Alex Miller <a...@puredanger.com> wrote:

> I have done a fair amount of polling on this for Strange Loop and it's
> problematic.
>
> - there are a small number of interested people which thus requires high
> per-person prices for videos (higher than you think - Strata video
> compilation is $400 for example)

Where are these costs coming from? The marginal (rather than one-time)
costs of pointing a consumer digital video camera on a tripod at a podium
in front of a projection screen is pennies, if that, mainly amortizing the
equipment and memory card over their expected lifetimes, plus the hydro to
recharge the battery.

> - high prices further reduce the number of people willing to pay
> - high prices also increase the likelihood that people will simply share
> access to others, further reducing the number of people
> - any video purchase system requires a significant amount of
> infrastructure for authentication and payment that either needs to built or
> bought, either of which further drives up the cost.

If video production is done cheaply enough then all this stuff does is add
transaction costs. Youtube, Vimeo, and others would host for free and
monetize themselves with ads. YOU might even monetize with ads, at least on
Youtube.

> - knowing there is a video compilation available may reduce conference
> attendance (I think this is actually unlikely but it's possible)

That's the same theory underlying the silly "blackouts" sports leagues
sometimes do when stadium tickets aren't sold out, and it's been pretty
thoroughly debunked. Even a live broadcast (let alone a tape-delayed one)
isn't competition for actually being there, as it turns out. In fact, it's
the opposite: it's advertising. Blackouts *damage* attendance, the way not
advertising a product reduces sales.

Unless you have unusual needs regarding how the videos are initially
recorded that preclude using cheap, filmless cameras and no or little,
simple postwork, you should be able to DIY with little labor and *way*
lower marginal costs than $400 per video even, including hosting.