On Monday, March 25, 2013 7:47:51 AM UTC+2, Michael Klishin wrote:

> 2013/3/25 Cedric Greevey <cgre...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>
>> A lot of computers are shipping with free no-frills video editing
>> software these days that probably suffices for this.
>

> Do those computers also ship with a person who has a lot of experience
> editing video and audio?
>
> It takes more than a hour to edit a 40-45 minute long podcast even for
> experienced people. Even more so with video because
> you have to make sure video and audio are in sync and it's not trivial. If
> you have two video inputs (one with the speaker,
> one with the slides), I can imagine editing a 30 minute video can take
> several hours.
>
> Now, how many talks were there at Clojure/West? Even if the number is 20,
> you have two weeks worth of editing at ~ 8 hours a day.
>
> Sounds like something an amateur volunteer will do well?

To compare, PyCon videos are usually up in less than 1 week,
see http://pyvideo.org/. Probably the production of those videos are
supported by the PSF, but it might still be a good idea to see how they do
it. I made some googling as to how they do it. Here is an interview with
Carl Karsten, who owns the aptly named
"NextDayVideo":
http://us.pycon.org/2011/blog/2011/03/02/pycon-2011-interview-carl-karsten/
"After a half-hour setup, all of the talks, then a half-hour teardown, it’s
an encoding and checking party after that."

>From the company's website, it seems that the rate per day is around $4000,
but they seem flexible: http://www.nextdayvideo.com/page/pricing.html

The main difference with these videos with the ones on infoq is that there
is only the video stream, there is no separate slide view. This makes it
easier to produce since one doesn't need to sync the video with the slides.
(which, by the way, is better for me personally, because watching InfoQ
videos on iPad is always awkward since one only sees only the speaker.)

One other alternative I can think of is to urge the speakers to record the
talk themselves using QuickTime (or equivalent in other OSes). This is
actually trivial,
see http://zachholman.com/posts/how-to-screencast-your-talk/ for an
example.  If doing this at the time of the talk adds to the pressure of
giving the talk, we could perhaps encourage the speakers to do it while
rehearsing.

Alex Miller, how would this affect the InfoQ deal in terms of
copyright?This might indeed be the best of both worlds, the professional
quality videos will be still shown on infoq, while the screencast versions
will be immediately available. For live-coding sessions, which is not that
uncommon, actually the screencast quality would be higher.

Ustun