As an interesting point of trivia, the idea of abandoning S-expressions for
some other notation actually pre-dates the first implementation of Lisp.
S-expressions were originally intended as a temporary measure, before a
more familiar representation - deemed M-expressions - could be formalized.
But in the words of John McCarthy:

*"The project of defining M-expressions precisely and compiling them or at
least translating them into S-expressions was neither finalized nor
explicitly abandoned. It just receded into the indefinite future, and a new
generation of programmers appeared who preferred internal notation to any
FORTRAN-like or ALGOL-like notation that could be devised." The History Of
Lisp<http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/history/lisp/node3.html#SECTION00030000000000000000>
*

In short, the idea of abandoning S-expressions has fair claim to be one of
the oldest ideas in Lisp. My personal theory about that is that by the time
someone knows enough Lisp to do a decent job of the translation, they no
longer see any problem...

Kris