Right now, Clojure is fighting its way to get to Java-like performance
for numerics, and that involves emitting primitive numbers and
operations whenever possible. I'm afraid that would be utterly
incompatible with turning numbers into functions - that would be at
least two levels of indirection (numbers would have to be objects, and
these objects would have to implement IFn).

Nice idea on a conceptual level, though.