Michael Klishin writes:

> It wasn't immediately clear to me, but it makes sense, given how short
> the MIT license is.
>
> What licenses does it make sense to recommend?

Given that Clojure libraries must be compatible with Clojure's license,
the GPL is ruled out. I recommend the EPL; it's what you get when you
run `lein new myproject`, and I feel like Rich made a pragmatic choice
with a license that is copyleft without being virally so.

If there is some reason you want to avoid copyleft, (corporate paranoia,
etc.) then the Apache license seems like the best bet among non-copyleft
ones, though the requirement that it be included in *every* single file
is very annoying. However, I don't know of any other non-copyleft
licenses which offer good patent protection.

It's also worth noting that simply placing your software in the public
domain is a bad idea since several European legal systems don't have a
concept of public domain. If you want to completely disavow copyright on
your work the best choice seems to be the creative-commons-based CC0,
which places your work in the public domain where possible but contains
exceptions for jurisdictions where it's not:

    https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

It should go without saying, but don't take this as legal advice, etc;
please consult a legal professional before doing anything serious.

-Phil