You have to be very careful with microbenchmarks like this. I recommend
writing less trivial benchmarks. For example
http://github.com/clojure/test.benchmark/blob/master/src/main/clojure/alioth/spectral_norm.clj

This code demonstrates performance on par with plain Java. There are many
other similar examples in the test.benchark project.

David