Found this blog post written by fogus:

"To provide this level of flexibility Clojure establishes a level of
indirection. Specifically, all function lookups through a Var occur,
at the lowest level, through an atomic volatile. This happens every
time that a function bound using the def/defn special forms is called.
This indirection is not amenable to HotSpot optimizations."

http://blog.fogus.me/2011/10/14/why-clojure-doesnt-need-invokedynamic-but-it-might-be-nice/